Summer time is our favorite time of the year here at Environmental Doctor in Dayton, Ohio. From swimming, to fishing and riding motorcycles on Ohio’s Windy 9; these are just some Ohio summer activities that top our list. Although, for others, summer is the annoying season. Summer lovers may ask, “but why?” Well, for starters, it’s super hot out! The heat also brings up the electric bill since AC usage goes up. Besides that, being pleasantly cool indoors can come with another price, your health. Keeping the air conditioner on and the windows shut creates poor air circulation. This may also lead to poor ventilation which can trap lots of dust and unfiltered air in your home. Including harmful and odorless gasses like carbon monoxide.
We are not writing this for you to fear, we are here to inform you. Did you know that there are many easy ways to check your home or office for this hazardous gas? You can test for carbon monoxide by using a handheld detector or by installing a small wall detector in your home. Testing for carbon monoxide is pretty affordable as well.
Monoxide Testing Avoids Poisoning
If you are worried that you or a loved one has been poisoned by carbon monoxide exposure, call 911 for emergency help. To help you detect carbon monoxide poisoning, symptoms can include chest pain, confusion, headaches and vomiting. Although symptoms can differ from person to person, lethal exposure can also take time. This invisible gas claims up to 500 lives each year. It is always a great idea to test for carbon monoxide in your home if you haven’t done so already. Have more questions in relation to air quality or possibele gas leaks in your home? Call the Environmental Doctor today and view our indoor air services here.
An unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning incident that left one dead, seven hospitalized, is yet another reminder of the need for regular tests for carbon monoxide in homes.
Crews were called at 8:20 a.m. to a home in Anchorage, Alaska on Feb. 20. Responders found one man dead. Seven other residents were transported to the hospital. The residence was a single-family dwelling where one family lived. The source of the gas remains under investigation. Firefighters found 1,000 parts per million in the house, an unusually high amount, authorities reported.
“We were called originally for a cardiac arrest for one of the patients,” AFD’s deputy chief for operations, Jodie Hettrick, told the Alaska Dispatch News. “It was not reported as a CO call, and then when our crews got on scene we determined that there was more going on.”
Roughly every 10 years, over 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Experts recommend home air testing units in all home dwellings, and to have them regularly inspected on an annual basis.
The EPA recommends acceptable levels for carbon monoxide testing to be 50 parts per million (ppm) parts of air (55 milligrams per cubic meter) as an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA) concentration [29 CFR Table Z-1].
Florida Family a Tragic Example of the Need for CO Tests
A Florida family is yet another tragic example of the need for every home to have a carbon monoxide testing system and alarm in place. If you’re family does not have a CO detector or you’re not sure if it works, have it installed and regularly inspected today.
A 9 year old boy from Daytona Beach, Fla. died last October from what authorities believe was
Carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator inside of his home.
The boy’s family also suffered from poisoning. His mother was incoherent but managed to contact a neighbor for help, who called 911. When authorities arrived they found a generator in a closed room with towels placed under the door. The generator had run out of gas. The father, identified by police as Pedro Hernandez, was unresponsive but alive and was taken to the hospital in critical condition. A 9 year old boy was dead, and his brother was also transferred to the hospital with CO poisoning.
The Critical Need to Test for CO
“I can’t stress this enough – if you have a generator at home, and it’s in your house, please take it outside. You cannot leave a generator running inside your house,” Daytona Beach Deputy Chief Craig Capri told Channel 6 News, stressing the need for carbon monoxide testing. “Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and will kill you real quick. I think what saved the other families members is that the generator ran out of gas.”
Your Prescription for a Healthy Indoor Environment
Should You Invest in a New Sump Pump Installation?
Is it time for a new sump pump? It’s a good idea to know for sure. Unlike a car, it’s not like a sump pump is a sexy investment. So before you are install a new sump pump, consider the reasons you think yours might be about ready to give up the ghost. Does it cycle on and off frequently, even in heavy rains? It could be a badly adjusted float switch, which, if not corrected, will burn out your sump pump. Does it run for an unusually long amount of time when it kicks on, more than a few minutes? That could just be a sign it’s underpowered, either for the amount of water it uses or the distance it must carry. If it’s simply not turning on, chances are all you’ve got is a stuck float switch that got hung up on something. Hold your breath and run a bent coat hanger down its throat. If you’re still stuck, call a professional to schedule an inspection.