Why Test for CO? Read a Florida Family’s Tragedy

Florida Family a Tragic Example of the Need for CO Tests

A Florida family is yet another tragic example of the need for every home to have a carbon monoxide testing system and alarm in place. If you’re family does not have a CO detector or you’re not sure if it works, have it installed and regularly inspected today.

A 9 year old boy from Daytona Beach, Fla. died last October from what authorities believe was

Carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator inside of his home.

The boy’s family also suffered from poisoning. His mother was incoherent but managed to contact a neighbor for help, who called 911. When authorities arrived they found a generator in a closed room with towels placed under the door. The generator had run out of gas. The father, identified by police as Pedro Hernandez, was unresponsive but alive and was taken to the hospital in critical condition. A 9 year old boy was dead, and his brother was also transferred to the hospital with CO poisoning.

The Critical Need to Test for CO

“I can’t stress this enough – if you have a generator at home, and it’s in your house, please take it outside. You cannot leave a generator running inside your house,” Daytona Beach Deputy Chief Craig Capri told Channel 6 News, stressing the need for carbon monoxide testing. “Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and will kill you real quick. I think what saved the other families members is that the generator ran out of gas.”