2 Parents Die of Accidental Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A Family Tragedy: Parents Die of Accidental CO Poisoning

Two recent deaths in Missouri serve as tragic examples for the need to have a carbon monoxide detector installed in the home and to be sure that it works.

The AP reported that 44-year-old Lisa Feltrop and 51-year-old Troy Feltrop died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning after a car was left running in an enclosed garage, filling the house with fumes.

Their 14 year old daughter was taken to the hospital and survived.

Police investigation ruled the deaths as accidental.

A Community in Mourning

Helias Catholic High School, where Troy and Lisa’s son, Kyle Feltrop, was a student, posted a message of condolence on their Facebook page following the tragedy: “Our hearts are heavy and prayers are lifted for the tragedy in the Troy, Lisa, Kyle and Savanah Feltrop family. Troy passed away this morning, Lisa and Savanah are hospitalized.” (Lisa died of her injuries two days later).

Sandy Hentges, Helias’ director of communications and admissions, told the News Tribune counselors will be made available for “anyone who needs it.”

Why Test for CO? Read a Florida Family’s Tragedy

Florida Family a Tragic Example of the Need for CO Tests

A Florida family is yet another tragic example of the need for every home to have a carbon monoxide testing system and alarm in place. If you’re family does not have a CO detector or you’re not sure if it works, have it installed and regularly inspected today.

A 9 year old boy from Daytona Beach, Fla. died last October from what authorities believe was

Carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator inside of his home.

The boy’s family also suffered from poisoning. His mother was incoherent but managed to contact a neighbor for help, who called 911. When authorities arrived they found a generator in a closed room with towels placed under the door. The generator had run out of gas. The father, identified by police as Pedro Hernandez, was unresponsive but alive and was taken to the hospital in critical condition. A 9 year old boy was dead, and his brother was also transferred to the hospital with CO poisoning.

The Critical Need to Test for CO

“I can’t stress this enough – if you have a generator at home, and it’s in your house, please take it outside. You cannot leave a generator running inside your house,” Daytona Beach Deputy Chief Craig Capri told Channel 6 News, stressing the need for carbon monoxide testing. “Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and will kill you real quick. I think what saved the other families members is that the generator ran out of gas.”

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Suspected in Ohio Couple’s Deaths

Tragic news from our neighbors in Green, Ohio serves as a stark reminder of the need for carbon monoxide testing.

A man, 57, and woman, 69, were found dead Dec. 1 in their home on Buck Trail in Green, Ohio from what authorities suspect was accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Though authorities have yet to release the victims’ names, the Akron Beacon Journal has identified the couple as David Hill and his wife, Shin, citing friends and the couple’s employees.

“I’m stunned. Just shocked,” said Don Schalmo, a developer and longtime family friend, told the Akron Beacon Journal. “I was just at the mother’s funeral last month, so I don’t know what will happen to (their) business now.”

From the Akron Beacon Journal:

“The Summit County Sheriff’s office and Green Fire Department were called to the Hill’s upscale development — Deer Pines Estate — off of South Arlington Road about 10:25 a.m. Thursday.

Someone found the Hills unconscious inside the indoor pool area of their 5,038 square-foot home on Buck Trail. The Summit County Medical Examiner’s office said both were pronounced dead at 11:18 a.m.”

CO Home Testing Prevention

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills an average of 430 people in the US every year, according to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention. Its an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can be emitted by faulty heating appliances, generators, and stoves. Health officials recommend installing detectors to test for carbon monoxide and have them regularly inspected.