Tragic news from our neighbors in Green, Ohio serves as a stark reminder of the need for carbon monoxide testing.
A man, 57, and woman, 69, were found dead Dec. 1 in their home on Buck Trail in Green, Ohio from what authorities suspect was accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Though authorities have yet to release the victims’ names, the Akron Beacon Journal has identified the couple as David Hill and his wife, Shin, citing friends and the couple’s employees.
“I’m stunned. Just shocked,” said Don Schalmo, a developer and longtime family friend, told the Akron Beacon Journal. “I was just at the mother’s funeral last month, so I don’t know what will happen to (their) business now.”
From the Akron Beacon Journal:
“The Summit County Sheriff’s office and Green Fire Department were called to the Hill’s upscale development — Deer Pines Estate — off of South Arlington Road about 10:25 a.m. Thursday.
Someone found the Hills unconscious inside the indoor pool area of their 5,038 square-foot home on Buck Trail. The Summit County Medical Examiner’s office said both were pronounced dead at 11:18 a.m.”
CO Home Testing Prevention
Carbon monoxide poisoning kills an average of 430 people in the US every year, according to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention. Its an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that can be emitted by faulty heating appliances, generators, and stoves. Health officials recommend installing detectors to test for carbon monoxide and have them regularly inspected.