Mold Inspection: Top Five Health Concerns w/ Black Mold

mold inspection

Black mold is gross. It looks nasty, can cause a funky smell in your home and mold is dangerous to our health! Have you had mold testing done? Understanding the indicators of black mold can help keep you and your loved ones stay safe. Toxic black mold can lead to detrimental health effects and mold poisoning. Also known by its scientific name, stachybotrys chartarum, black mold feeds on common household materials. Some of these materials include: carpet, drywall, insulation and sub-flooring that have been exposed to moisture. After the mold has been feeding on this organic material, it can release spores. When the human nose, or household pet, inhales these spores it creates a health risk. This is why it is critical to have a mold inspection.

Top Health Concerns with Black Mold

Chronic coughing and sneezing are indicators of a mold problem. If you think there’s a toxic mold exposure in your home, try to write down when you get sudden cough or sneeze attacks. Is it only at home? Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and you should consider a mold inspection as well. Moving from the sinuses, the top health concern from mold exposure begins at the respiratory system. Chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can be symptomatic of black mold exposure. Other symptoms can include nausea, vomiting and in worse cases, bleeding from the lungs and nose. Mold testing should be done immediately.

Aside from the health concerns, toxic black mold can be costly to remove. Attempts to get rid of mold by spraying techniques are not adequate. Our mold procedures at Environmental Doctor focus on mold removal (depending on the severity) and mold remediation. Each mold scenario is different and requires special attention. Call us today and let’s schedule a mold remediation or removal as soon as possible! Breathe easy with our trusted mold removal services in Dayton, Ohio.

Nasty Mold Found in Toy Giraffe

Would you let your kid kiss a moldy giraffe? If your child plays with teething toys that have an enclosed interior, they’ve probably kissed worse. And it usually doesn’t take a professional mold testing kit to know when a toy is too gross to use.

ABC News reports that one family recently found excessive mold in a “Sophie the Giraffe” doll. The parent, Pediatric dentist by profession, was suspicious when she noticed a musty odor coming from her child’s toy. She cut it open and “discovered a science experiment living inside.”

The company issued a statement:

“First of all, it’s important to know that Sophie la Girafe [Sophie the Giraffe] is composed of 100% natural rubber, so the cleaning instructions have to be carefully respected. As indicated on the packaging and in an explanatory leaflet inside the packaging, we recommend to clean the surface of Sophie la Girafe with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in the water nor rinsed off, to prevent water from getting inside, as she may become damaged. We thus would like to emphasize on the fact that is it important, while cleaning the product, that no water gets inside the whole.”

Cleaned According to Instructions

The parent, Dana Chianese, told Good Housekeeping that she always cleaned the doll according to instructions, with hot, soapy water and a damp sponge, and was careful never to submerge the toy in soapy water.

And she’s not the only one to have a problem. One customer review on Amazon warns: “Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you’ll end up with mold! We’ve had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!”

Nasty. And the photo is worth a thousand reviews. You don’t need to have the mold tested to know it’s time to throw this toy out!

Will Mold Testing Reveal the Source of Workers Health Troubles?

In a home, mold can be a health problem. In a post office, however, it can be an occupational health hazard. That’s why mold testing in government spaces can be especially critical when it comes to the public’s health.

Such was the case when employees of the General Post Office in St. Lucia revealed workers may have been working under moldy conditions for some time now. Employees state that many workers have been put on sick leave as result of exposure.

“I believe the time is right for the minister or whoever is responsible to know what is going on here – it’s not easy. You ask for dust masks – they don’t have. You have to purchase your own dust masks to wear, come to work and give the public the best that they can. It’s a shame,”  Gabriel Albert Joseph, an employee who is represented by the Saint Lucia Civil Service Association (CSA), told the St.Lucia Times. ““They  said until the report we must hold on, but they don’t understand what is going on.”

Long Time Problem?

The union is still awaiting official results of mold testing. But Joseph contends the mold situation has been an ongoing problem for years.

“Until the workers here take a stand and say enough is enough, this will go on,” Joseph said.

Mold Testing Reveals Source of Family Illness

Imagine watching your dream home warp into its own nightmare. Such was the experience of the Lilly’s, whose treasured home in Longmont, Colo. became a twisted version of the American dream when the air in their house made themselves and daughter repeatedly sick. The culprit? Mold, caused by shoddy construction and a contractor’s refusal to take responsibility for the problem.

“We’ve had problems since the day we moved in,” said John Lilly, the homeowner, told CBS News. “Two-and-a-half months into it we had another water leak upstairs that we noticed because water was dripping into our kitchen.”

The family contacted the builder, Meritage Homes, who identified the source- faulty plumbing due to improper installation. Since the home was under a one year warranty, contractors made the repairs, but that was just the beginning of the problem.

Mold Identified

The family hired a professional to do mold testing, who confirmed mold was still a problem. Doctors said the mold was the cause of the family’s illnesses. Yet John Lilly maintains Meritage Homes refused to take responsibility for the mold.

The problems caused the family to move into a temporary apartment, and even sleep in a tent at times. It has cost them thousands of dollars and health problems. The  construction company continues to refused to remediate the mold.

It Doesn’t Just Look Gross: The Surprising Side Effects of Mold in Your Home

Breaks in winter weather can often lead to mold in your home. Mold likes to grow in damp, dark places, eating away at natural products—like the wood and wallpaper of your walls.  Mold releases spores into the air, and people sensitive to mold can have allergic reactions. It’s always a good idea to have any suspected mold tested if you have respiratory issues.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) cautions on its website:

“Rarely, some patients can have a more serious illness called allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. In this condition, there is both an allergic and an inflammatory response to the mold. Symptoms may include severe wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath, much like asthma.”

Here is what you should know about mold in your home.

  • Allergic reactions to mold are similar to reactions to irritants found in dust or pollen: sneezing, running nose, itchy and watery eyes, coughing.  Some other reactions can include rashes or asthma.
  • Good news? Many people go throughout the day exposed to mold spores and are just fine.  For those who are sensitive, taking certain precautions—like antihistamines—can make you more comfortable.
  • However, finding large splotches of mold in your household is not a good sign.  It is often an indication of either poor ventilation or water damage. It is important to thoroughly dry any area that has suffered water damage. Also be sure to check your basement sump pump to ensure moisture is not escaping into your home.
  • Mold is one of the basic problems checked for in a house inspection when buying or selling a home. If present, it often indicates that there is either a previous or currently existing problem. For the integrity of the house’s structure, mold tests and remediation can help to fix the problem.
  • On rare occasions, mold can be toxic.  Typically, toxic molds are black molds—though not all black molds are toxic.  Toxic mold can cause you to feel severely ill, so you might feel as if you are constantly suffering sicknesses, when in truth you are reacting to the mold spores that you are breathing in.  Constant exposure can lead to death.

What can you do to get rid of mold in your house?  Toxic or not, you do not want mold growing rampant.  Have a professional perform a mold test and remediation, which will help to treat the problem.  At Environmental Doctor, we know how to take care of mold.  In fact, all of our services—from duct cleaning to radon testing and mitigation—are dedicated to making your home safe and livable.