Breaks in winter weather can often lead to mold in your home. Mold likes to grow in damp, dark places, eating away at natural products—like the wood and wallpaper of your walls. Mold releases spores into the air, and people sensitive to mold can have allergic reactions.
Here is what you should know about mold in your home.
- Allergic reactions to mold are similar to reactions to irritants found in dust or pollen: sneezing, running nose, itchy and watery eyes, coughing. Some other reactions can include rashes or asthma.
- Good news? Many people go throughout the day exposed to mold spores and are just fine. For those who are sensitive, taking certain precautions—like antihistamines—can make you more comfortable.
- However, finding large splotches of mold in your household is not a good sign. It is often an indication of either poor ventilation or water damage. It is important to thoroughly dry any area that has suffered water damage. Also be sure to check your basement sump pump to ensure moisture is not escaping into your home.
- Mold is one of the basic problems checked for in a house inspection when buying or selling a home. If present, it often indicates that there is either a previous or currently existing problem. For the integrity of the house’s structure, mold tests and remediation can help to fix the problem.
- On rare occasions, mold can be toxic. Typically, toxic molds are black molds—though not all black molds are toxic. Toxic mold can cause you to feel severely ill, so you might feel as if you are constantly suffering sicknesses, when in truth you are reacting to the mold spores that you are breathing in. Constant exposure can lead to death.
What can you do to get rid of mold in your house? Toxic or not, you do not want mold growing rampant. Have a professional perform a mold test and remediation, which will help to treat the problem. At Environmental Doctor, we know how to take care of mold. In fact, all of our services—from duct cleaning to radon testing and mitigation—are dedicated to making your home safe and livable.