Family Dies of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from Snow Blocked Tailpipe

The tragic effects of carbon monoxide are not always limited to the home. This past winter, a family in New Jersey became the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning from a snow-blocked tail pipe. The father was outside the car, mere feet away from his family, when the tail pipe, clogged with ice, leaked carbon monoxide into the car, killing the mother and one year old son. A three year old daughter was left in critical condition.

“The gas couldn’t go out and it had nowhere to go except inside the car,” said Passaic Mayor Alex Blanco.

The father looked up from shoveling to find his family unconcious.

The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, but deadly. It can be emitted from malfunctioning appliances and kill without conscience. Carbon monoxide detectors are just as important as smoke detectors and fire extinguishers when it comes to your family’s safety. Have them checked and updated regularly.